Thursday, November 25, 2010

Same Book, Second Look - Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel



Published: August 2010
Publisher: St Martin's Griffin
Pages: 310
Copy Provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads


Lenah Beaudonte is, in many ways, your average teen: the new girl at Wickham Boarding School, she struggles to fit in enough to survive and stand out enough to catch the eye of the golden-boy lacrosse captain. But Lenah also just happens to be a recovering five-hundred-year-old vampire queen. After centuries of terrorizing Europe, Lenah is able to realize the dream all vampires have -- to be human again. After performing a dangerous ritual to restore her humanity, Lenah entered a century-long hibernation, leaving behind the wicked coven she ruled over and the eternal love who has helped grant her deep-seated wish.

Until, that is, Lenah draws her first natural breath in centuries at Wickham and rediscovers a human life that bears little resemblance to the one she had known. As if suddenly becoming a teenager weren’t stressful enough, each passing hour brings Lenah closer to the moment when her abandoned coven will open the crypt where she should be sleeping and find her gone. As her borrowed days slip by, Lenah resolves to live her newfound life as fully as she can. But, to do so, she must answer ominous questions: Can an ex-vampire survive in an alien time and place? What can Lenah do to protect her new friends from the bloodthirsty menace about to descend upon them? And how is she ever going to pass her biology midterm?

Review:Infinite Days has the potential to be such a great series but to be honest, I really had trouble identifying with Lenah. I agree with Curlypow in her initial review about Lenah being unconvincing as a character with 600 years "life" experience and be a brutal killing machine with no remorse for her actions. I feel that the idea for this character was great but there definitely needed to be more character development. Don't get me wrong, I feel that the author did a good job of creating the storyline. I like how the author would flip back and forth between her current day self and previous vampire life. It just wasn't developed enough to convince me.

**possible spoiler**A big beef I had during this book was the rate in which Lenah fell for Justin. It was like they were starting to fall for each other a little and then all of a sudden they were deeply in love and spending all of their time together. I was not convinced of their relationship or it's authenticity. I wanted to be, but I wasn't.And then there's Tony (Curlypow's favorite character). Poor, poor Tony. We see it time and time again...Simon from The Mortal Instruments, Jem from Clockwork Angel (feel free to jump in anytime with other examples)...I think we should just create an "I just want to be friends" list of guys who have had to take the backseat when it comes to a girl friend.**end possible spoiler**

My favourite quote in this book -
Pg. 154
"It is always the intent that matters."

Ultimately, I still found this to be an enjoyable read but I wouldn't necessarily rush out to purchase a copy for myself. I will read Book 2 of the series (from our library) as I am curious to see if things have improved and to continue with the storyline but I believe Curlypow decided to pass on it. Stolen Nights (pictured below) comes out March 15, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment