Sunday, December 12, 2010

Pegasus by Robin McKinley


Published:November 2010
Publisher:Putnum Juvenile
# pages: 404
Copy provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Because of a thousand-year-old alliance between humans and pagasi, Princess Sylviianel is ceremonially bound to Ebon, her own Pegasus, on her twelfth birthday. The two species coexist peacefully, despite the language barriers separating them. Humans and pegasi both rely on specially-trained Speaker magicians as the only means of real communication.

But its different for Sylvi and Ebon. They can understand each other. They quickly grow close-so close that their bond becomes a threat to the status quo-and possibly to the future safety of their two nations.

New York Times bestselling Robin McKinley weaves an unforgettable tale of unbreakable friendship, mythical creatures and courtly drama destined to become a classic.

I have been a fan of Robin McKinley for many years and I look forward to all of her books. She did not disappoint me with this one.

When I started reading I was a little surprised because the writing felt a little stilted, but I quickly got past that, and started enjoying the story. The main protagonist, Sylvi, is only twelve at the beginning of the book and I wondered if the whole thing might be for younger readers - but no. It is suitable for younger readers as well tho'. This is a fantasy story and there is no sex, violence or language in it, but as the story progresses the majority of it has our heroine at 15 or 16 years old.

Sylvi's growth as a character is very well done. She has doubts and fears, as most of us do, but is prepared to work past them. I loved that she didn't let her height - or lack of it - act as a real handicap. Her father, Corone, was a lovely character. A just and respectful King and amazingly insightful person. I liked him. Ebon was fascinating and it was very easy to forget that he was not, in fact, human. The connection between Ebon and Silvi was strong and real and very convincing.

As I was reading I felt a sense of anticipation and excitement for Sylvie - can't say why or I'd give you a huge spoiler - but then that sense of anticipation became tension. There was a vague undercurrent of 'wrong' as I was reading. That tension quickly changed to a sense of foreboding and the ending was unexpected and startling.

I'm not sure when I realised that this story was way too complex to finish in one volume, but it was both a relief and a disappointment. Relief that there was so much more to come in the story and disappointing that I now have to wait months and months to find out what is going to happen to Sylvi and Ebon. This was well worth waiting for and I look forward with great anticipation to the continuation of the story. Ms McKinley, an arc would be really apreciated, thank you, then I won't have to wait so long!

2 comments: