Thursday, May 26, 2011

Illyria by Elizabeth Hand


Published: May 2010
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Pages: 144
Copy Provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:

Madeleine and Rogan are first cousins, best friends, twinned souls, each other's first love. Even within their large, disorderly family—all descendants of a famous actress—their intensity and passion for theater sets them apart. It makes them a little dangerous. When they are cast in their school's production of Twelfth Night, they are forced to face their separate talents and futures, and their future together. This masterful short novel, winner of the World Fantasy Award, is magic on paper.


Review:
I've had a bunch of short titles to read lately and it almost feels like I've been trying out appetizers before a big meal.  What is my big meal you ask?  CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS of course!  I have not had time to sit down a read this book to really savour it.  I'm hoping to do so later this coming weekend. 

I'm not sure how I originally came across this title but the title and the cover drew me in.  Illyria was about how something taboo could turn into an innocent beautiful love between two people.  While I was reading, I found myself forgetting more and more about Maddy and Rogan's familial ties and seeing how their relationship blossomed over the years into something much stronger.  While young and innocent they are both all they've ever known.  Dependant on one another and sharing secrets.  Even though they move on through their own lives, years and years later they come back to one another and the magic is still present, just as fresh as when they were children.

Ms Hand has a way with her writing that made me feel as if she was spinning magic into words.  This novel was more like a poignant short story and a pleasure to devour.  This was a beautiful piece to read and would be a great novel for interpretation.  Personally, I think it would make a great ISU suggestion.  One caution that I did have about this book is that Rogan seems to have a bit of a potty mouth at times so beware a bit of language.
 
P.S.
I think I'm on an Elizabeth roll here.  The last 3 books that I've read have been by Elizabeth Scott, Elizabeth Cook and Elizabeth Hand.  Go figure!  It's the Liz Fiction run!

1 comment: