Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fantastic Fairytales - Illusions by Aprilynne Pike




Published: May 2011
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 375
Copy: From Library
Summary: Goodreads


Laurel hasn't seen Tamani since she begged him to let her go last year. Though her heart still aches, Laurel is confident that David was the right choice.

But just as life is returning to normal, Laurel discovers that a hidden enemy lies in wait. Once again, Laurel must turn to Tamani to protect and guide her, for the danger that now threatens Avalon is one that no faerie thought would ever be possible. And for the first time, Laurel cannot be sure that her side will prevail.

Illusions is the 3rd book by Aprilynne Pike in what I thought was going to be a trilogy - but no, it turns out it's going to be a series.  How do I feel about this?  Furious, because I was really, really hoping for a happy ending, and pleased, because it means there will be more of Laurel, Tamani and David.

I really enjoyed Illusions - just as much as I enjoyed Wings and Spells - and it was great to become re-aquainted with all the characters.  Two of my favourites are Laurell's parents.  They just seem to be such likeable people.  Strict enough to ground Laurel for thoughtless behaviour, but always loving and understanding.   Chelsea,  David, Tamani - all the people we expect to see from the previous books are back again and some new ones as well.  Who exactly is Yuki, and why is she at school? I'm not telling. David and Tamani are struggling with each other this time around and I found myself unsure just exactly who I was rooting for.  They are both so lovable, in their own special ways, and both such typical boys even if one of them is a fairy. 

The story references several well known mythologies and gives them all very plausable explanations, yet this Avalon is very different from any we have read about before.  Ms Pike has woven such a complex society that it is easy to fall into the story and accept it as real.  There is excitement and mystery and some wonderful romantic angst that was all just so much fun to read. At about the half-way mark in the story it dawned on me that there was no way it was going to wrap up neatly, and of course there is an amazing cliff hanger ending that just about had me screaming with frustration.  I can't find any news about a fourth book, so I can't tell you how long we will have to wait to find out what happens, Grrrrrrr! Yet another success Ms Pike.  Please don't make us wait too long for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment