Sunday, September 11, 2011

Guest Post - The Power of Six by Pitticus Lore

Friends are wonderful to have, especially when they are willing to do guest reviews for us :).  Thanks so much to Special K for this one.




Published: August 2011
Publisher: Harper
Pages: 406
Copy: Purchased
Summary: Goodreads

I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he's a mystery. But to me . . . he's one of us.

Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us—if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another . . . but our Legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together?


They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio—and failed.
I am Number Seven. One of six still alive.


And I'm ready to fight


Review:

Ahh…The Power of Six. The funny thing is, while we learn a bit more about Six’s background, and find out that she is every bit as awesome as we were lead to believe in I Am Number Four…this book really isn’t about Six.

Now, yes, that means we get more of everyone’s favourite number Four, but!! there are also a few new characters we to meet, one of whom leads us through her story alongside Four, Six and Sam’s escapades. Do I tell you what number they are? Or maybe…numbers?

Not yet. The action starts a little slowly, reintroducing us to our cast of aliens and allies, but picks up again quickly. There are a few unbelievable moments, but nothing any more far fetched than your typical action novel and for the most part they contribute to the plot line. And while the excitement keeps the pace rolling along nicely, with a few interludes along the way while Four thinks about girls, this book has a bigger role in the series than just a bridge between IAN4 and what will be the third book. We learn a lot about the Loriens, the Mogs, and all their awesome alien stuff. Sam also plays a bigger role in this novel, which I loved – Sam has quickly become one of my favourite characters in this series – he’s likeable, his motives are clear and he’s self depreciating enough that we connect to him without him getting whiney (which I imagine would be tough to do when you’re a mere mortal on the run with superpower yielding aliens). Getting his background and watching him develop is nice in a book I expected mostly flash-bang-pow type action from. We also learn about the mystery surrounding the second ship Four had seen in a vision back in IAN4, a second ship that left Lorien shortly after the original Legacy’s ship. Curiouser and curiouser! We also get a new villain, although our meeting is fleeting, and his role likely won’t be made clear until the next book.

And fun news! The back of the book that is always reserved for information on the author, the next books, publisher promotions – has the information on an exclusive eBook! I Am Number Four: The Lost Files: Six’s Legacy (Longest title ever, I know) talks about Six’s experience before she finds Four. We get a hint of it in PO6, so I’m looking forward to getting my paws on it and finding out the details (especially since I have a bit of a girl crush on Six).

I’m going to claim this is a spoiler alert, but it’s not really. Below I’ll tell you who we meet in PO6 – so if you want to know what numbers are coming up, by all means keep reading. If you would rather the surprise (and trust me – a few are good surprises!), call it quits, and go pick up a copy!

Spoils of “war” (a.k.a. reading): We meet a few new numbers in this book, and one of the main plot lines follows number Seven as we learn that not all the numbers have the same kind of experience on Earth trying to escape the Mogs and fulfill their destiny. We also meet a couple numbers briefly at the end – Nine is found, and he sounds hunky and a great option for girls to transfer their crushes on Four to (well…my crush anyways). We also meet another number…but that’s too big a spoiler, even for here!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. I've just read IAN4 and am eager to get my hands on this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete