Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Musings by Knitwits - Fabric-by-fabric One Yard Wonders by Rebecca Yaker and patricia Hoskins




Published: December 16, 2011
Publisher: Storey Publishing
ecopy: Courtesy of Netgalley and Publisher
Summary: Goodreads


The best-selling authors of One-Yard Wonders are back with another all-new amazing collection of 101 sewing projects. Responding to the increasingly diverse range of fabric weights and types now available, Fabric by-Fabric One-Yard Wonders is organized by fabric type. From home dec to knits, wool to flannels, corduroy to cottons, these patterns show how to make the most of each fabric’s unique characteristics.



Sewers will love the affordability and ease of these patterns, each requiring just one yard of fabric. There’s something for every skill leveland interest. Waterproof coated cotton fabrics are perfect for a gym bag or set of bicycle panniers, wool makes a warm cap for the outdoor enthusiast, knit jersey whips up quickly into a ruffle scarf or sassy dress, corduroy makes a sturdy farmers’ market tote, lightweight cotton voile is perfect for a little girl’s smocked sundress, and cozy pink fleece makes an irresistible mother pig and piglets stuffed toy set. The perfect blend of fabric and function is evident throughout this wide-ranging collection.



Before I say anything else I have to get this off my chest - I WANT THIS BOOK!  Ok, that's it.  Now I can talk about it.  I used to do a lot of sewing when I was younger, for myself, my kids and as gifts for friends, but I haven't done a lot in the last 10 years or so.  I think I got bored with it really. 

Well, when I saw this amazing book on Netgalley there were about 5 things I wanted to make immediately.  Then there were all the other things where I was thinking 'so and so would like this', 'that would be perfect for what's her name', oh, that's just what my mum was talking about'  Do you get my drift?  There are so many fantastic projects in this book I can't imagine anyone not wanting to make at least 4 or 5 minimum.  To be honest, if I had an actual copy in my hand I think there are 4 projects I would have finished already.

There are projects for babies - stroller tote, dresses, overalls, toys.  Projects for girls and boys - clothes, toys, superhero costumes, apron and hat.  Projects for teens, sleep set (so cute), skirts, purses.  Projects for men - bottle bag (holds 8 bottles!), garment bag.  Projects for women - aprons, scarves, shopping bags, purses.  Projects for the home - blinds, cushions, chaircovers, hassocks, lampshades, picnic sets.  Oh my goodness, I could go on and on for ever. there is just so much choice, over 100 in fact.

The book is set out with projects grouped by type of fabric, and they all can be finished with only one yard of said fabric - nifty, isn't it.  None of the projects are too long or complicated, altho' some are definitely harder than others, but you could pick and choose according to your skill level.  I honestly don't think there is anything in that couldn't be tackled by an advanced beginner and many that could be tackled by a beginner, as long as you take your time and read the instructions. The beauty of it is, by using only 1 yard of fabric a lot of us could go through our stash and use up those pieces of fabric that are 'just too big to throw away' - you know what I mean, don't you? 

I really am very excited to see this book in the flesh, so to speak.  I seriously think it might be responsible for
getting me back to my sewing machine for more than just a tote bag. I think I'm going to put Fabric-by-Fabric, One Yard Wonders onto my Xmas list.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.  And keep an eye on it for yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment