Thursday, May 10, 2012

Unleashed by Nancy Holder and Debbie Vigue

Published: November 2011
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pages: 282
Copy Provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
Katelyn McBride’s life changed in an instant when her mother died. Uprooted from her California home, Katelyn was shipped to the middle of nowhere, Arkansas, to her only living relative, her grandfather. And now she has to start over in Wolf Springs, a tiny village in the Ozark Mountains. Like any small town, Wolf Springs has secrets. But the secrets hidden here are more sinister than Katelyn could ever imagine. It’s a town with a history that reaches back centuries, spans continents, and conceals terrifying truths. And Katelyn McBride is about to change everything.

Broken families, ageless grudges, forced alliances, and love that blooms in the darkest night—welcome to Wolf Springs.

Review:

This writing dual did a fantastic job of introducing us to the Wolf Springs Chronicles.  I was surprised by how quickly I sped through this title.  It kept and held my interest with its fast pace.  Tension built for at least the first 1/2 of the story.  I did not know much about Unleashed before I started reading so it was a treat to see everything unfold.  Sometimes the best books are those you know nothing about. I didn't start reading other reviews until after finishing the book.  Sounds like you'll either love it or hate it.  Personally, I'm on the 'loved it' team.  There were many odd scenarios and characters within the book that kept occurring and I wondered how the authors would bring it all together.  It kept things interesting.  There is one scene in particular where Katelyn becomes involved with her friend's family.  I was a bit shocked at the outcome and I can't wait to see how it plays out in the second title.  I have yet to hear what the official name is but will keep my ears open for updates.  I don't want to give anything away.  


If you enjoyed the Crusade series, don't be fooled.  They are not very similar.  Give it a try and keep reading if its kept you interested for the first hour of reading. 


I sometimes wonder how two authors manage writing a series together.  We've seen it with the House of Night series, Beautiful Creatures and this one as well.  Must take some serious organization skills!


On one last side note, does this cover remind anyone else of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, season 2?

If you like paranormal, suspense and something a bit thrilling then this would be a good  book for you.  I'd recommend it to followers of Kelley Armstrong's Darkness Rising series.  







1 comment:

  1. I really want to read this one! It looks so good! Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

    ReplyDelete