Thursday, October 25, 2012

Ten by Gretchen McNeil


Published: September 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Pages: 294
Copy Provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
And their doom comes swiftly.

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?

Review:
Agggghhhhh!!!!  So many scary books in one month!  I have to tell you, I LOVE scary books.  I was the kid who started reading Stephen King and John Saul in Jr High.  I'd be reading at my locker early in the morning and the bell would ring and scare the Bleep out of me (thanks Kiersten White for adding to my vocabulary).

Well, it seems old habits die hard as I have been on a horror/murder/fiction revival.  I recently discovered Gretchen McNeil and loved her first book - Possess.  You can read my review through the link.  I wasn't sure what to expect from Ten.  One of the things I love about both of these titles is that they seem to be stand-alone books.  I have so many series on the go right now, it is difficult to keep them all in check.  

When you first start reading Ten, you may find yourself having flashbacks to certain scenes from horror classics such as Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer and even Final Destination.  McNeil pulls out all of the punches for a well played mystery of consecutive killings and I have to admit, on more than one occasion she had me double-guessing who the killer was.  There were a few holes in the storyline and at the end it was a tad over the top for me but overall I was thoroughly entertained and it was a fun, thrilling read.

So if you are looking to freak yourself out and get into the Halloween mood, you need to check out Ten by Gretchen McNeil.  It's even better and scarier than a horror movie...because it's all in your imagination...


No comments:

Post a Comment