Saturday, March 26, 2016

Winter by Marissa Meyer


Published: November 2015
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Pages: 824
Copy Provided by: Bought
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:

Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?

Review:
This was an incredibly long book.  I had it on my reader and I felt like it took me SO LONG to finish.  I don't read as quickly as I used to when I was younger.  Nor do I have the time (I tend to read on the train to and from work).  At first I thought I was losing interest but there were a lot of different events happening as the previous settings began to come together - Cinder, Scarlet, Cress and even Fairest (I would recommend reading this to get a COMPLETE understanding of Levana).

I am going to list some of my notes as I was reading but you should read this series or else my ramblings will make no sense at all.  Plus it will probably definitely have spoilers

The ship that Cinder and her  crew are on is called the Rampion but with this rag tag crew, it reminded me of the Millennium Falcon!!  Some of the interplay between characters was similar to the relationships from Firefly and Star Wars.

Artemisia is a little bit like the zones in Hunger Games.

I love how Jacin calls Cress Shortcake. She is a about half sweet and half crazy and it is so cute how Jacin loves her for all of it.  He is so accepting of her crazy bits and just believes in the good in her.  How she fights and wants to be a good, strong role model for her people.

Iko is one of my favorite characters in this series and makes me laugh out loud.  For an android, she has SO MUCH personality and such devoted loyalty to Cinder.    I would love to see her as a character in a movie or TV tie in.

This was a great end to a fantastic series!  I loved how Melissa wove elements of the fairytale re-tellings into her series.  For instance, Cinder loses her foot as she ran down the staircase from the ball, Winter is emmersed in a glass case because she is dying and Jacin comes to her rescue with an antidote.  

Overall, I think this would be a fantastic series to use as an ISU. There are so many factors to draw between the fairytales we know and "modern day" society.  Marissa masterfully integrated aspects of each fairytale into her sci-fi world and made them mould together.  I don't know how she did it because it seems like an impossible feat but she did.  I will be putting this entire series on my bookshelf as a top 10 to re-read again. Now...if you are more into the comic-book side of things, you should know that Marissa Meyer is working on a graphic novel series for the Lunar Chronicles.  To be honest though, I wish someone would make this series into a movie.  What an incredible movie it would be!!  The series ended exactly the way it was meant to be. As a reader, you always want a happily ever after but you want it to unfold and be placed at the exact right place. Miss Meyer found the sweet spot in her story and allowed the reader to make assumptions and imagine their own ending. If you haven't already started reading this series, you really, really should.

No comments:

Post a Comment