Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Musings by Knitwits - Big Buy Cooking


Published: Feb 2010
Publisher: Taunton Press
Pages: 192
Copy provided by: Netgalley
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
Buy a delicious ingredient in bulk, save money, and cook delicious meals. It’s not as easy as it sounds--if you want to make creative dishes and use all the food you buy. With the expertise of Fine Cooking you can do both. This cookbook is not about cooking to stock your freezer, spending hours on the weekend cooking for the week, eating the same leftovers all week, or developing a new way to think about shopping for food. Food Lover’s Guide to Big Buy Cooking is about cooking great-tasting food for every night of the week and features 75 inventive recipes from 25 bulk food items readily available in warehouse clubs and supermarkets. While Food Lover’s Guide to Big Buy Cooking focuses on how to cook exciting, reliable recipes and make the most of the featured ingredient, the added benefit is keeping costs down thanks to purchasing in bulk and then using it all. Accompanied by step-by-step instructions, helpful hints and tips, and full-color photographs, these original recipes will take your cooking to new levels.

Review:

This book has beautiful pictures. I think my mouth was watering as I flipped through the pages. I find this to be incredibly important as I am not a great cook. Sure I can cook easy recipes but I need guidance and reassurance that I’m doing the right thing. Photos of what a dish is supposed to look like is always good for me to compare it to what is happening in my pot. I think that makes me more of a visual learner.

Another thing that I like about this book are the easy to read instructions. Each chapter has it's own table of contents. Unfortunately, the one thing that stops me from purchasing this title is that many of the ingredients required (such as pine nuts, roasted red peppers, capers etc) are not items I normally purchase for our home pantry. I might be more likely to try one or two recipes so I would take this title out of the library but it wouldn't be one I would purchase.

Big Buy Cooking is great for those shopping at Costco or Sam's club who see something they'd like to buy but are afraid of purchasing too much of an ingredient. What do you do with the excess? Do you have pine nuts, roasted red peppers, capers, feta and brie at home? Maybe this is the book for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment