Sunday, March 18, 2012

Stolen Away by Alyxandra Harvey


Published: December 2011
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Pages: 278
Copy: Library
Summary: Goodreads

For seventeen years, Eloise Hart had no idea the world of Faery even existed. Now she has been abducted and trapped in the Rath of Lord Strahan, King of Faery. Strahan was only meant to rule for seven years, as Faery tradition dictates, and then give up his crown to another. But he won't comply, and now chaos threatens both worlds.

The only one who can break his stranglehold on the Faery court is his wife. . . Eloise's aunt Antonia. Using Eloise to lure Antonia, Strahan captures his wife, desperate to end the only threat to his reign. Now Eloise must become the rescuer. Together with her best friends Jo and Devin, she must forge alliances with other Fae, including a gorgeous protector named Lucas, and Strahan's mysterious son, Eldric-who may or may not betray them.


Yet another wonderfully amusing and captivating read from Alyandra Harvey.  Just a little different from her Drake Chronicles, Stolen Away is about the fae this time and not vampires.  Written in her signature alternating voices, Eloise and Jo share the perspective of their first venture into the mysteries of faerie. I say first, but it could be only, although I'm seriously hoping this turns into a series. 

With believable human characters and drop-dead gorgeous fae princes, Stolen Away was a pleasure to read.  There is a nice mystery going on here with a reveal at the end that for some reason I didn't see coming.  There is also no triangle, but there is some lovin' going on, and insta-love or no, I enjoyed it.

'He cut me off with a deep kiss.  It turned sudden and desperate, heated so quickly I had to grab hsi shirt to steady myself.  Our hair tangled together.  His lips were clever, wicked.  I was like chocolate melting in the sun' (p199)

But what makes Ms Harvey's books for me, is her humour. This first quote had me laughing so loudly I woke up my husband!

'And then it all unraveled slowly, like a silk shawl coming apart at the fringes.  Couples and threesomes drifted off into the scented shadows, all bare skin and tongues.  I didn't consider myself a prude, but there were just some things I didn't need to see. Fae bums were one of them.' (p122)

'My mother was just coming out of the kitchen when she saw me fall out of nowhere, followed by a boy dressed like King Arhur.  She made a sound like "yaaargl" and then threw her cup right into the air.  She didn't even blink when hot tea rained over her.' (140)

Great characters, great story, great laughs - and a quick read to boot.  Definitely recommended!

1 comment:

  1. I love a book with fantasy ánd humor. And reading your review, I decided I'm going to read this one. Sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete